Search This Blog

Monday 31 October 2011

Polystyrene fail

Inspired by World War One food posters I wanted to use the polystyrene to make some vegetables to fill up some space in my basket. 

I chose to make a potato and a parsnip, just because they, are simple and would have been available to grow in the muddy conditions during the war. 


I first tried to make the parsnip out of polystyrene, but it does get thin at the end, and because the foam isn't compacted, it did just break off. So I learnt that with smaller, more fragile objects stick to the polyurethane in future. 


















So I had to scrap that plan, and start again with the polyurethane, with which I made both vegetables.

It was a fairly quick process, as I had already used it before for the cheese. After cutting out the shapes and sanding the edges, I didn't feel that I needed a layer of pva and muslin unlike the bread, because the texture it gave was natural and I didn't want to got rid of that. So the next stage was just to paint them. 

 I added them into the basket, and think it looks much better. I can always add more food as I go along, as it is a fairly quick process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment