Search This Blog

Monday 24 October 2011

My Boy Jack

'My Boy Jack' – Brian Kirk (2007)


‘My Boy Jack’ is a British film adaptation of a play by the same name based on a poem by Rudyard Kipling. The poem is inspired by a true story, where Kipling’s son john was killed in World War One.
The film looked as if it had a bigger budget compared to the other films I have watched for research, which I found useful to look at one that had been made differently otherwise they would look the same after a while. Because of the bigger budget and that fact it had been made recently, I think that the objects in the shots were more thought out and contrived, so would have been thoroughly researched, so I feel as if the ideas I get form this film are more reliable.
This film also gave me a different perspective on class and wealth. Previously most of the films have focused on working or middle class houses, but the Kipling family were quite well off. This was a factor that I hadn’t really considered until now, I suppose the majority of people were from working class backgrounds, but it was interesting to see the difference between the classes, considering as there was such a divide during this time period.
The film split it time between Jack in the front line, and his family back home, so it was good to get a contrast and a comparison between the two, and look at the different props that came from each. 

No comments:

Post a Comment