Search This Blog

Monday 10 October 2011

Jules et Jim

Jules et jim - François Truffaut

‘Jules et Jim’ is a French 1962 film, directed by François Truffaut, based on the semi-autobiographical book about the French author, Henri-Pierre Roche’s relationship with his friend and wife. Although I found the narrative very monotonous and frustrating, I do appreciate the film as a useful source of research for my project. The film focuses on the relationship of three main characters, before, during and after the First World War. Although the two male characters go to war during a few of the scenes, the majority of the film shows the home life in France, during this time period. So I was able to look at the interiors and props the home, which gave me a few ideas as to what I am going to make.

I think that because the film is based on a semi-autobiographical novel, it adds to the realism so is the closest we could get to real footage. I also liked the fact that part of the story, two of the characters have a child, so it’s we get to see how both the adults and a child live, just to get a different perspective to different types of people living during the war. It’s particularly valuable to my project, as I included a child into my narrative and want to represent him through a prop.

No comments:

Post a Comment